Originally constructed in 1930, the landmark California Hotel (National Register) was reconfigured from 149 studios and one two-bedroom apartment to 120 studios, 12 one-bedroom apartments, and five two-bedroom apartments. The building now includes four program rooms, community room, and new laundries for residents as well as a second elevator. Accessibility upgrades provide 15 units and seven units for residents with visual or hearing disabilities. The historic brick facade, as well as interior elements such as the original coffered wood lobby ceiling, corbels and terrazzo floors with inlaid bears, have been restored. The project provided a complete structural rehabilitation and seismic retrofit, as well as complete upgrades to, mechanical, electrical and plumbing system.
Structural Systems: Steel-braced frames with field-bolted connections.
Architect: Gelfand Partners